Database Administrator analyzes the organization's database needs and develops a long-term strategy for data storage. Manages the administration of an organization's database; Oversees the design, maintenance and implementation of the systems that manage an internal database.
Establishes policies and procedures related to data security and integrity and monitors and limits database access as needed. In addition, this position may manage subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
• Install and maintain the performance of database servers.
• Develop processes for optimizing database security.
• Set and maintain database standards.
• Manage database access.
• Performs database recovery and back-up when required.
• Performance tuning of database systems and Resolves database performance and capacity issues.
• Install, upgrade, and manage database applications.
• Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors.
• Recommend and implement emerging database technologies.
• Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
• Create automation for repeating database tasks.
• May be given supervisory responsibilities in the IT Operations
• Be available for on-call support as needed.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
• Strong command of SQL and SQL server tools
• Advanced knowledge of database security, backup and recovery, and performance monitoring standards
• Understanding of relational and dimensional data modeling
• PowerShell and Unix shell scripting skills
• Familiarity with SSAS (Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services), SSIS (Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services), SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services)
• Strong mathematical and statistical knowledge
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Impeccable attention to detail
Education and Required Experience:
• AA or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Seven plus years of experience in database administration, information technology, database architecture, or a related field
• MCSE/MCSA certifications preferred
• Experience with Linux and Windows Server environments
• Extensive experience with database technologies (MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL Oracle, MongoDB)
• Experience with cloud services (AWS, Microsoft Azure) a plus
Successful candidate may potentially need to obtain and retain a Government security clearance. Due to the sensitive nature of our Defense Contracts, candidate must be able to verify U.S. Citizen status.
VACCO Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer.