The Senior Project Engineer is responsible for providing leadership and technical direction to a cross functional engineering team to ensure successful execution of major programs. This role oversees varied projects requiring non-recurring engineering support for existing designs and new product development from program inception through completion of the product life cycle from TRL1 to TRL9. The project engineering role supports all technical aspects of programs, including management and coordination of the technical team, design and development, design reviews, scheduling, budgets, staffing, baseline control, risk management, technical customer interface, milestone management, failure investigations and problem resolution.
Key expectations for this role:
• Drive activities to achieve on-budget, on-schedule performance with technical compliance.
• Develop plans to achieve goals and evaluate performance to identify issues and apply corrective actions.
• Communicate effectively to develop a clear understanding of assignments, expectations and desired results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plan engineering programs and organize the engineering project team according to contract requirements.
o Create WBS and schedule with phase gates corresponding to contract technical requirements.
o Ensure contract requirements are covered by engineering deliverables.
o Define engineering resource requirements and ensure adequate support.
o Ensure that all assigned personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants.
• Provide project oversight of day-to-day engineering activities to achieve on time and on budget execution.
o Coordinate activities within engineering team and internal/external groups to resolve technical issues.
o Organize and lead all internal and customer technical meetings (CEB, PDR, CDR, etc.)
o Monitors project performance metrics and provide regular updates on project status.
o Drive the EVM (Earned Value Management) process for engineering activities.
o Review any changes in technical requirements and manage all out-of-scope requests.
o Control project costs by reviewing costs, monitoring and approving quotes and expenditures.
o Monitor root cause/corrective actions of associated variances
o Drive the on-time release of engineering documents in compliance to the program requirements.
o Manage budget and utilization of resources and delivery of work.
• Serve as the technical point of contact for internal and external customers.
o Prepare, organize and lead presentations in support of design reviews and technical interface meetings.
o Issue memos and minutes for all internal and customer technical meetings (TIM, CEB, PDR, CDR, etc.)
o Communicate changes to the design that impact cost, schedule and technical compliance.
o Ensure documentation of designs, analyses, and test results with accurate and concise reports.
o Create and maintain project documentation: Plans, procedures, reports, CM, QBS, ECR, SDRLs, etc.
o Generate status reports for customers and management.
• Provide technical oversight to ensure conformance to contractual requirements and company standards.
o Ensure technical compliance to program contractual requirements.
o Evaluate key technical risk areas and ensure proper engineering best practices are followed.
o Ensure knowledge sharing of best practices and develop/monitor adherence to technical standards.
o Drive quality of engineering deliverables and lead continuous productivity improvement.
o Document Lessons Learned and ensure previous Lessons Learned are incorporated into new projects.
o Establish and track all design criteria associated with the product throughout the duration of the project.
o Lead and manage the design input to all customer and internal design review meetings.
o Oversight of risk management process and baseline change processes.
o Review technical project work prepared by others.
o Ensure consistent engineering standards, processes, and documentation methods are used.
o Troubleshooting problems and leading failure investigations.
o Estimation of development costs and schedules.
• Experience leading a project engineering or multi-disciplined engineering team.
• Experience building project plans, schedules and/or budgets.
• Experience managing programs and performing cost accounting using Earned Value, reporting cost and schedule metrics, and creating variance reports.
• Experience in Risk Management.
• Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
• Ability to absorb and apply new technical information and evaluate implications.
• Communicate effectively on technical matters.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to drive tasks to completion.
• Understanding of the product lifecycle development process.
• Works autonomously with limited supervision.
• Able to work under deadlines to ensure customer requirements are met.
• Project Management Certification (ex. PMP) desired.
• Top secret or secret security clearance desired
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
BS in mechanical or aerospace engineering (Master’s degree preferred). Minimum of 10 years of experience in project engineering, product development or design engineering. Minimum of 5 years of experience leading cross functional teams or projects.
Due to the nature of our Defense contracts, U.S. Citizen status required.