The Laboratory Materials & Processes (M&P) Engineer assumes an effective role in performance of M&P lab operations to support failure analysis and R&D activities of the VACCO engineering department. The LM&P Engineer will work along with other M&P Engineers in support of VACCO Engineering and Operations, and get involved in development of materials and processes and other M&P consultation issues however, his/her priority is to lab functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conducting SEM and Metallographic analysis in support of Engineering R&D, Failure Investigation and Weld Schedule Development.
• Running mechanical/physical tests using Instron Tensile Tester and Micro-hardness Tester in support of manufacturing, R&D and development of Engineering data bank.
• Writing test reports.
• Contributing spare time in regular M&P activities in support of programs, preparing M&P documents and resolving M&P related issues.
• Analyze product failure data and laboratory test results in order to determine causes of problems and developing solutions.
• Conduct tests on raw materials or finished products in order to ensure quality.
• Design and conduct the testing and/or control of processing procedures.
• Determine appropriate methods for fabricating and joining materials.
• Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
• Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration.
• Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
• Solve problems in a number of engineering fields, such as mechanical, chemical, electrical, civil, nuclear and aerospace.
• Write for technical magazines, journals, and trade association publications.
• Able to perform M&P Laboratory functions, including tests, evaluation/interpretation of test results and preparation of report independently.
• Possess interpersonal skills required to build relationships, work in a team environment and open to accept VACCO culture.
• Possess good leadership skills.
• Has a good communication skill, including verbal and written.
• Has the ability to use good judgments in decision making and problem solving.
• Has the ability to read and interpret blue print and schematic drawings.
• Be proficient in the use of MS software such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Has basic knowledge of plant operations and processes.
BS Degree in Metallurgy or Materials Engineering
TYPE & AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The desired candidate will have a minimum of 7 years of experience in Materials and Process with special emphasis in materials/Metallurgical Laboratory test and analysis. A good understanding of metallurgical engineering principles for ferrous and non-ferrous alloys will be an added advantage. In addition, the person shall be knowledgeable in interpreting ASTM/AMS specifications and run physical/mechanical tests using Instron and microhardness tester. The successful candidate will be able to run M&P test and analysis independently.
MACHINES & SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
1) Scanning Electron Microscope test, evaluation and analysis.
2) Good skill in metallography, including sample preparation.
3) Good understanding of metallographic structure for ferrous & non-ferrous materials, including nickel-based alloys like Inconel 718 and titanium alloys.
Due to the nature of our Defense contracts, must be able to confirm U.S. Citizenship status.
VACCO Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer.